4715 N Western Parking Lot - Chamber Statement
Last week, 47th Ward Alderman Matt Martin announced that a non-profit developer intends to host a meeting to solicit feedback on an initial development concept for the city-owned parking lot at 4715 N Western Avenue (northeast corner of Western & Leland). The virtual meeting will take place on Tuesday, May 11th from 6:30pm – 8:30pm. REGISTER HERE
Our office has had several businesses and residents reach out regarding some misleading information that has been distributed in the area. The informational piece in circulation mentions that it is paid for by concerned residents and businesses but does not provide detail on who this includes. The Lincoln Square Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce (LSRCC) is not involved, nor does it know which businesses are a part of this group. To help clear up some confusion, here is what is known by the Chamber of Commerce at this time and what has been shared with its business members.
About the Upcoming Meeting
- The 47th Ward office has not received a formal proposal for development at the 4715 N Western Avenue city-owned parking lot at this time, as no project has received funding.
- The meeting is hosted by The Community Builders (TCB), a nonprofit developer, because they are interested in soliciting feedback from neighbors on their concept prior to submitting any applications to the City of Chicago.
- If an application from a developer were to receive funding, the proposal would be subject to the 47th Ward’s regular community-driven formal development process. You can learn more about this process at aldermanmartin.com/development.
About the Proposed Project
TCB will present its concept for a 51-unit, 5-story, mixed-use, mixed-income gateway development on a City-owned parking lot at 4715 N Western Avenue (northeast corner of Western & Leland).
- Public parking would continue to be provided within a parking garage.
- Apartments would be for a mix of incomes:
- Studios & 1-bedroom units available for those making minimum wage to $60,000 per year.
- 2-bedroom units available for those making minimum wage to $75,000 per year.
- Apartments include units specifically designated for artists.
- Ground floor restaurant / retail space with large outdoor seating area along Leland Avenue.
- Improved sidewalk widths and landscaping to enhance a Leland gateway from Western to Lincoln Avenue.
Past Community Meetings
47th Ward Alderman Matt Martin has hosted two Community Visioning meetings and one Business Visioning meeting this year regarding the parking lot at 4715 N Western Avenue. Recordings of each Community Meeting can be viewed on their Facebook account.
- 01/21/2021 Community Visioning Meeting – Recording
- 02/23/2021 Business Visioning Meeting
- 03/18/2021 Community Visioning Survey Results Meeting – Recording
Past News Articles
If you are interested in learning more, here are media articles related to the property in discussion.
- 3/19/2021 – Lincoln Square Lot Would Be Great For Affordable Housing, Some Neighbors Say — But Others Want To Keep The Parking Spaces
- 01/25/2021 – All-affordable TOD plan by Western Brown stop shelved, visioning process underway
- 4/03/2020 - Affordable Housing Planned Next To Western Brown Line Stop Misses Out On $1.5 Million In Tax Breaks
- 1/7/2020 - New Affordable Housing Planned For Prime Lincoln Square Corner Raises Parking Concerns
The Lincoln Square Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce will attend the TCB public meeting to learn more about the project at the same time as the rest of the community. LSRCC will share all relevant information with its business members as it becomes available.
Rudy Flores, Executive Director
Lincoln Square Ravenswood Chamber of Commerce
“2 Neighborhoods. 1 Community. Working Together.”