For Property Owners
SSA 21 accepts applications to host a mural on a rolling basis.
- Murals must be within the boundaries of SSA 21
- Murals must face the public way
- Murals should remain in place for at least 3 years
- Maintenance funding is not guaranteed
- $500 participation fee (due at completion)
- Site owners are invited to weigh in on artist/design
RE: Program Manager
2611 W Lawrence Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
RFPs are sent to local artists after mural sites are selected. Selected artists are paid $5,000* for their work. Artists interested in receiving RFPs should enroll in our directory.
PaintWorks is not currently soliciting bids from artists. Check back in Mid-March.
*Artist payment is all-inclusive (labor, supplies, travel, etc.). No exceptions.
For the Community
PaintWorks murals need help from the community - we can't do it alone! All donors giving over $500 get recognized with the mural itself.
PaintWorks is not currently soliciting donations. Check back in May.
PaintWorks? What's that?
SSA #21 funds public murals to improve the vibrancy and aesthetic appeal of our community. PaintWorks uses both SSA dollars and crowdsourced donations to make it all happen. Here’s how it works:
- The SSA takes rolling applications from properties that want to host a mural (“Hosts”)
- The SSA Commission chooses sites for a maximum of two murals per year
- RFPs are sent to Artists, and submitted proposals are reviewed by the SSA Commission
- The SSA Commission chooses a mural Artist with input from the Host
- Once an Artist and Host are matched, crowdfunding begins for the project on ioby
- If we reach our goal, the Artist gets to work. If not, both Artist and Host must reapply.
- Murals encourage people to walk around the community, bringing them into local businesses.
- Murals discourage blight, and can cover up decades of graffiti and decay.
- Murals create a sense of community, tying Lincoln Square residents together with shared art.
- Murals can become destinations in their own right (see Hebru Brantley's mural on the Western CTA substation).
Direct all questions to Program Manager Ryan Warsing at email@example.com.